User Interface (Mobile)
Wireframing and User Flows
Animations and Visuals
In summer 2018, I worked as a product design intern at Unacademy in Bangalore, India. Being the largest learning platform in the country, Unacademy’s product consists of two apps — a learner app and an educator app — both with over 5 million installs. The learner app provides a platform for students to watch lesson videos and interact with the educators, whereas the educator app provides the educators with a platform to create content for the learners.
Much like Facebook’s Newsfeed, both these apps share a common news feed. The educators use the educator app to create and post content on the feed and the students are able to engage with the same using the learner app.
When I joined Unacademy, they were seeing great user engagement on the feed. Educators would regularly post multiple choice questions (MCQs), tips and tricks for students, and other study material for standardized tests.
However, the educators were just limited to making text-only posts on the platform. A majority of the posts from the educators were quiz-based multiple choice questions that students would respond to in the comments. This would flood the comments section and make it difficult for educators to evaluate how students performed on each question. Additionally, students were unable to assess the right answers until the educators manually posted them. And when the educators did, the students would have to hunt for them amid thousands of comments. This was a major UX problem and one that I was responsible for solving.
It was a big responsibility for me because I was essentially leading the UX design of a feature for a platform with over 3 million users. And while it was daunting at first, I had great fun shipping it out to the real world later on.
Tackling the Problem
I started out with some brainstorming to explore the problem we were trying to solve and gathered my initial thoughts. Before jumping into sketching, the team and I stepped back to discuss the goals we wanted to accomplish with the design. In a nutshell, we wanted to build a feature that:
Enables educators to create interactive poll questions
Enables educators to create a series of multiple questions
Enables learners to gain immediate feedback (correct/incorrect)
Maintains a tally of the learners' correctness score in real-time
Enables learners to gauge how they performed against other students
After multiple discussions and brainstorming sessions, we knew what we wanted to achieve through the UI, so I could start designing.
With the knowledge from my initial analysis and conversations with the design team, I sketched various iterations and low-fidelity wireframes for the feature.
Following a couple of paper iterations, I had the general idea ready, so I switched to Figma, where it was easier to move things around.
From the design team’s feedback on my wireframes, I was successfully able to create high-fidelity mocks using Figma.
My mockups made it relatively easy for me to create a high-fidelity prototype using Principle. Building my prototype was significant a milestone for me since it meant that the rest of the team could interact with my design in a realistic way and provide constructive feedback.
Unacademy Q/A team approved the feature and I closely worked with engineers during the next couple weeks to push it to prod.
The feature was shipped about three weeks after my internship at Unacademy, and I truly believe that it was easily one of the most extensive and impactful design projects I’ve worked on in the last couple of years.
Unacademy has about 10,000 registered educators on the platform, with over 5,000 that actively use the feed. On launch day, the feature observed an adoption rate of 83.6% amongst the active users. Prior to the launch of this feature, just a little over 3,000 question-based posts were made on the feed every month. After 30 days of launch, this number was bumped nearly 2X. More than 5.8k polls were created on the feed during the first month of launch and active-learner engagement went up by 26.8%. The success of the feature also resulted in an increased average Google Play Store rating within two weeks of launch.
Looking back, this feature has helped increase learner-educator engagement by a great extent and educators are observed actively creating multiple quizzes every week. Most importantly, it has been able to enhance what was previously a broken experience and the response has only been positive. The team and I couldn’t be happier.